Alternative Medicine Paradigms
1. Reiki: This is a Japanese healing technique that channels the universal ‘life force energy’ through the practitioner into the client. It is an energy healing technique. It focuses on the 7 main chakra points. Clients are fully clothed, and it can be used on all ages, as well as animals. Reiki can be sent ‘remotely’ and this is called distance healing. It can be hands off or on. Safe during pregnancy.
2. Reflexology: This involves massage and firm pressure on the acupressure points on the soles of the feet. It can also be on the hands, ears and face. These points are linked to organs, glands and systems throughout the body. Physical pressure is applied to the points. Clients are fully clothed but may have to remove socks. It can be used on all ages and is safe during pregnancy.
3. Hypnotherapy: This induces a state of deep relaxation and focused concentration. Clients remain fully clothed. It is mainly used for mental/emotional issues such as fear of flying or for smoking cessation. It is also often combined with NLP. It is safe during pregnancy.
4. Acupuncture: Very fine needles are inserted carefully into the skin at specific points on energy lines called meridians. These stimulate the body’s energy to heal and remove any energetic blocks which may be causing pain. It is an energy healing system. Client may be partially clothed depending on the areas needing the needles. It can be used on all ages and is safe during pregnancy.
5. Osteopathy: This involves the manipulation of bones, joints and muscles to bring them back into alignment. Client is assessed and treated wearing only underwear. It is a physical therapy. It can be used on all ages and is safe during pregnancy.
6. Naturopathy: A combination of therapies are used by naturopaths. Clients are fully clothed. The assessment may involve iridology as well as observing nail and tongue health. Blood, hair and stool samples may also be taken and analysed. Treatment may be a combination of homeopathy, nutrition, acupuncture, herbal medicine, bio-resonance and colon hydrotherapy. It can be used on all ages and some things are safe during pregnancy.
7. Alexander technique: This is a posture correcting technique which involves small movements. It helps to get rid of harmful tension in the body. Clients are fully clothed and learn to practice the techniques at home after a 1-2-1 consultation. Several sessions are normally needed. It is a physical therapy and safe during pregnancy.
8. Crystal healing: Various crystals are placed on or around the body to stimulate the 7 main chakra points. The aim is to remove any energy blocks so the energy can flow again. Often this is combined with Reiki. Client is fully clothed. It is an energy healing therapy. It can be used for all ages and is safe during pregnancy.
9. Aromatherapy: Essential oils are used well diluted to massage onto skin and help to relax and heal the body. They can also be inhaled after vapourisation or added to bath water. Clients are partially clothed for massage. It is suitable for all ages. Some oils are not safe during pregnancy. It is a physical therapy.
10. Bowen technique: This is slow gentle movements to manipulate the connective tissue (fascia) and muscles to relieve tension and pain. Client remains fully clothed and it is a hands on technique. It can improve flexibility, pain and posture. It can also be used on animals like dogs and horses. It is a physical therapy. It can be used on all ages and is safe during pregnancy.
Alternative Eco Friendly Swops
There are plenty of simple eco-friendly swops we can all do which don’t disrupt our hormones!
7 swops to minimise endocrine disruption:
- Stainless steel saucepans and wooden spoons
- Fluoride-free toothpaste
- TOTM sanitary products – organic cotton sanitary pads/tampons which arrive in sugar-cane derived ‘plastic’ in the post when you need them.
- Glass bottles and tupperware for storing food
- Tropic skincare products do not disrupt your hormones!
- Organic fruit, vegetables, meat and milk – 20% of non-organic milk is pus! Yuck!
- Use essential oils if needed to fragrance your home – or just open the windows for from fresh air
- Investigate greener cleaning products – or make your own. Sodium bicarb is wonderful for deodorising and scrubbing your oven!
Homeopathy is an eco-friendly Alternative Medicine.
Energy can’t be created or destroyed. One Arnica plant could make all the homeopathic Arnica remedies in the world for quite some time, due to the serial dilution preparation method.