Itch, Scratch, Repeat!
Eczema is very common. 20% of all children under 5yrs old suffer with eczema in the UK. This and other dry skin conditions can be very itchy, miserable and painful. Alarmingly its not just the skin it can affect. 60% of children also suffer with broken sleep due to the itch-scratch cycle of eczema.
Children and babies may not understand or be able to resist the voluptuous sensation of itching. Often this results in broken, sore and bleeding skin.
Your skin is your biggest organ! It does an amazing job of protecting us and acting as a barrier. In the Chinese 5-element system, the skin-bowels-lungs are all connected energetically. The emotion associated here is grief. I always ask about the bowels when treating eczema or any skin condition.
Hayfever, eczema and asthma are all expressions of the same dominant gene. This explains why these conditions are on the rise.
So what can you do to relieve the itch of eczema?
Here are my 5 top tips:
- Avoid/ cut down on dairy and gluten – Cow’s milk dairy, gluten, refined sugar and processed foods can all aggravate eczema.
- Increase omega-3 – Oily fish such as salmon, mackerel and herring all contain omega-3. Flaxseeds and chia seeds are vegetarian sources. Nourishing fats contained in avocados are also beneficial here. Think of it like moisturising from the inside!
- Probiotics and fermented foods – These help to nourish and renew the gut microbiome. Fermented foods include kefir, kimchi, sauerkraut and bio-live yogurt. Email me to get started on Optibac probiotics as I’ve had training on this range.
- 3 F’s – Fluid + Fibre + Fitness = Good bowel movement! These 3 things will help to get the bowels moving. Often in eczema cases the patient is slightly constipated. Ideally, the bowels should be opened at least once a day.
- Coconut oil or Calendula cream – These are both very soothing on dry skin and are NOT petroleum based as most emollients are. This means they allow the skin to breathe.
Eczema is a chronic condition which can be helped easily and gently with homeopathy. Get in touch if this resonates with you or you know anyone who is suffering!