Avoiding Christmas Stress.
Avoiding Christmas Stress can be almost impossible. The biggest excuse to cause more stress at Christmas can often be heard in the form of
‘Oh go on then –it’s Christmas!’
Got started on the present buying? Check.
Christmas party outfit sorted? Check.
Hangover? Heartburn? Exhausted?…….Uh, oh…..
The most festive time of year can sometimes be the unhealthiest time of year too! There are lots of demands on your time, from Xmas parties to school plays.
So how do you make it through December without ending up feeling like a deflated balloon?
5 ‘Gold rings’ to a Healthy Christmas period:
1. Make self-care non-negotiable: You wouldn’t cancel your haircut or an important meeting at work. So why put self-care at the bottom of your (naughty/nice) list? You can’t pour from an empty (egg-nog) cup, so prioritize yourself!
2. Be ‘present’ with friends and family: When you are together, make memories. Be truly mindful and stay in the moment. Time for phones to be put down, and let the board games begin! As cheese-boardy as this may sound, this type of activity can pull people of all ages together. It helps to focus this time and you may well find out just how competitive great-aunt Judy really is!
3. Give yourself permission to switch off-the Xmas lights: Planning in some ‘free’ nights in December not only allows you to relax, but gives you the opportunity to see people in January. Often we promise to ‘catch up over Xmas/in the New Year’. Making concrete plans for the New year means you have something to look forward to and you can keep your promises!
4. Have some sober soirees: Less alcohol or no alcohol has these side-effects: less stress on your liver, less dehydration, less holly-hangovers, and less accidents. Oh and you may also save a lot of mince pie-money!
5. Start some Noel-new traditions: Often at Christmas we go along with traditions because that’s how its always been. Or we don’t want to have ‘frosty’ upset family members. However there is nothing to stop you starting your rituals and tinsel- traditions. The more carol singing-creative the better!
If you have enjoyed my terrible puns or are suffering with a hangover or heartburn, then email to stock up on remedies to help with these.
Wishing you all a happy and healthy Christmas-time!